• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Head stone/Grave Stone Rights Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dennishooper

My wife of 24 yrs. passed away last July. I have been paying installments on a headstone, but I can't have it st until it is completely paid off.

My oldest daughter who is an adult has decided she is tired of waiting for me to get the headstone in the ground so she went ahead and paid for a different headstone, ordered it, and it will be set at the burial plot.

I spoke with the funeral home who made these arrangements, and they expressed to me that anybody can set a headstone on any grave. According to them, there is no next of kin rights regarding a grave. Even though he was my wife for 24 yrs., even though I purchased her burial plot, they say I have no rights. Their only consolation was that once I am able to set my headstone they will gladly dig the other one out and set mine in place of it.

Is there any laws in California regarding my having next of kin rights in this situation? I am so distressed. My wife died after suffering horribly from a rare form of cancer. Between the cost of not working for a year and taking care of my wife day and night, I have almost lost everything including our home. I simply can't set this stone any sooner.

Thank you!
I am in California

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">