• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Heir

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KennethL

I am the executor or my mothers estate in Virginia. In the will, she stated that her house be sold and the proceeds be divided between her 3 children and our half-brother. I learned just 2 weeks ago that he died in November. I am sure that his heirs will receive his part of the sale, but who do I need to pay the money to? Does it go to his wife, his children, or do I write a check to the estate of....? Please advise as soon as possible on this. I think we have the house sold and I want to be as honest as I can about this.

A

advisor10

1-2-2002

DEAR KENNETHL:

The check would be made payable to the ESTATE OF JOHN DOE.

If you know the city/state where your half-brother died, try to contact the probate court at the county courthouse to find out if he had a will and if it has been filed yet. If it has, you would be able to get the name and address of the executor to whom you would send the check. Or, perhaps an easier way to get that information would be to contact someone in his family (to find out who the executor is), if you are able to do that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">