• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Heir to Heir Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ak99703

What is the name of your state? Florida

Hello, My Grand Mother passed away in 1997. In her will, she left 1/3 interest of her property in Florida to each of her 9 grandchildren.
Due to our ignorance, we did not know that we had to pay taxes on this property, which we started paying off in 1999.
My sister, brother and I are the only grandchildren of the 9 that are actually paying for and maintaining this property. Another grand child was named excecutor and given "full and complete management" of the estate.
I have a few questions:

1. What is "full and complete management"?

2. How would that pertain to an excecutor, or 6 grandchildren that choose not to participate in paying for this property?

3. If we decided to sell the propery, would we need the approval of ALL of the grandchildren?

4. If the property is sold, would the other grandchildren be entitled to a portion of the proceed even though they did not help keep the property?

5. Is there a law that states that if the taxes for a piece of land is payed for a certain amount of years that the land could be tranfered to your name?

This property has become a burden for the 3 of us, seeing that neither of us wish to live on the property. We have discussed selling the land but don't know where to begin. If we decide to keep the propery, I want the property transfered to the ones that are paying for it. The 3 of us live out of state due to the military and I don't know what type of layer to talk to for assistance.

I would appreciate if someone could give me some advise or point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

De

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">