• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

heir property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wanqtrs

from north carolina. my question is both of my parents are deceased. i have 5 other siblings. i was and still is staying at home. i have been here since 1972 except for 2 years i went to college. i paid the house insurance, help with the up keep of the house all this time,. i even help contribute to the value of the house by adding a room on in 1991. my mother died 2000 and my father 1993. we also have 5 more acres of land. the property tax is due. i ask my sibling for help. they think since i am staying here i should pay the taxes. the house is only on one acre. still have 5 other acres. this house was used as a collateral on a loan my mother borrow. she had insurance on that loan and i was the beneficiary of that policy. so that money paid off the loan to keep from losing the house. they don't think they should help with the taxes, since they are not charging me rent. can they charge me rent? and can they sell the house without all 6 sibling permission? can the house be sign over to me or is it right for them to sell their share of the house? none of these sibling want to stay in this city. all of them are living in other city buying or renting house. so confused.

ALawyer

My sense is that if there was no Will, and title was solely in your parents' names, the house was left to all 6 children, equally.

Normally the property would be sold at market value (or perhaps offered for sale at that price, or a bit less, to each of the 6) and the proceeds divided in 6, with possible credits to those who made improvements (although improvements made in 1991 are ancient history and were probably a gift to your parents for letting you stay there), and a charge for those who used of the property.

The fact that your siblings don't want to pay the taxes if you are living there is very understandable.

It does not take all 6 to unanimously agree to sell it. Any of the 6 probably can go to court and seek to partition the property and/or force a sale.

But if you want to know your rights, get a lawyer in your area to advise YOU. It will probably cost less than $500 and you'll know for sure what rights you have, how they are acting, and what, if anything, you may do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">