• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are heirs legally required to continue paying deceased fathers timeshare dues?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TexasTom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I reside in Texas, but my legal situation is in Arizona, where my father had lived.

While my father was still living he purchased points in a vacation timeshare company at three different resorts. His upfront cost for the timeshare points was close to $200,000 for which he paid cash. He also paid maintenance fees of about $480 per month which were set up for autodraft on his bank account.
He placed the timeshare points account into his living trust along with many of his other assets.
Three years ago my father has passed away, and his living trust was left to the survivor trustees, i.e. my brother, sister, and myself. None of us want anything to do with this timeshare points account. We consider it to be highly toxic assets. The timeshare company told me they won't accept a deed back of the account. Timeshare resellers tell me the resell value of the account is about a penny per dollar of the original cost, and they'll try to sell it only if we pay them a big upfront listing fee. Meanwhile (for 3 years) the monthly maintenance fees have continued to be a drain on the trust's bank account, which cannot sustain this level of draindown too much longer. None of the survivor trustees has ever used any of the timeshare points for any vacation purposes.
My brother and I just recently instructed the bank to put a stop on the autodraft transactions for the monthly maintenance fees. Can the timeshare company legally come after the trustees for continuation of the perpetual draindown for timeshare maintenance fees? Can't the timeshare company be forced to merely foreclose on the account without insisting on perpetual payments? How can we legally stop the financial draindown of the trusts bank account from these monthly fees?

xylene

How can we legally stop the financial draindown of the trusts bank account from these monthly fees?
You need to get a trust lawyer involved and handle this properly.

Unfortunately you nay not be able to simply 'stop paying' without significant consequences.

I think the structure of this trust is not serving your interests well, which is somehting you should also discuss with your lawyer.

curb1

Why did you take three years to address this situation? What did the "timeshare company" say when you asked them about stopping payments?

TexasTom

Why 3 years delay ?

For the past 3 years after our father passed away, I tried to rent out the timeshare resort reservations with an affiliate of the timeshare company solely to help recoup the loss of maintenance fees. Any reservations that were unrented were simply a unilateral loss. Any rents received were deposited directly back to the trust account from which the dues are drafted on a monthly basis. It appears that the timeshare company doesn't care whether or not anyone can actually take vacations or benefit from the account as long as they get their money. My brother is the primary trustee, thus I don't really have the authority to sell or dispose of the account. However, I try to help in any way I can.
I sent a letter to the timeshare company telling them that we planned to discontinue the monthly autodrafts and we wanted them to pursue a deed back or foreclosure process. They basically ignored the requests in my letter. They merely sent back a form letter stating that if they could not get paid by monthly autodraft, they would add an $8 "service" fee for processing a check, and another $23 fee for late payment. This timeshare account is clearly not about vacation, it's ALL about the money.

Last edited:

tranquility

See an attorney for the trust, AND an attorney for yourself. (If we're talking about a lot of money.) The attorney for the trust can try to help you fix this mess and YOUR attorney can try to help you not be on the line for too much for a potential breach of fiduciary duties.

You have a high duty to the other beneficiaries. You let this become a mess. An expensive mess. If the other beneficiaries get upset with the mess, they can sue you. While all the facts are not known, I think it quite possible they would have a case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">