• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

heirs rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

raydom

The state is Pennsylvania. My father passed away many years ago and my mother re-married. My mother and her husband lived in the house my father built. My mother passed away some time ago leaving no will. My mothers husband passed away recently and left this property to someone not in the family.

Do I have any rights in this matter?

ALawyer

IF the property was titled solely in the name of your mother's husband the property remained his alone, and the marriage did not change things.

If he had put the title in the name of both your mother and her husband as joint tenants with right of survivorship, it became his alone at her death. On the other hand, if he put title in the form of tenants in common (unlikely) for both of them, then at her death her estate got her interest and as an heir of that estate you may have some claim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">