• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hello - is there someone i can talk to?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ms_wolfey

What is the name of your state?
Washington but the person it involved is in Idaho and i need to find an attorney that can help me protect and retrieve my interest in my fathers estate

click on the link above that says "Want to find the Right Lawyer? No Cost. No Obligation. Click here" and select wills trusts & estate planning

BelizeBreeze

ms_wolfey said:
Washington but the person it involved is in Idaho and i need to find an attorney that can help me protect and retrieve my interest in my fathers estate
If you give us some facts we might be able to give you a few pointers on what to look for.

ms_wolfey

ms_wolfey said:

Last summer my mother took me to her accountant in Post Falls Idaho and had me sign a paper that was apparently a release of my interest in an overlooked part of my dads will back from when he died in 1981 in Scottsdale, Az. It enable her to sell a large portion of land he had left to his estate and retain the profits solely to herself
I didnt realize what was going on until after the fact and then because it was family hesitated to make an issue of it.
Now my financial situation has become dire and she refuses to help in any way with even a portion of it. She has refused to let me see both the paper i signed and my fathers will and insists it is none of my business. However the accountant (who was also my accountant at the time) has admitted that i signed a release of interest in that land sale.
We have become enemies over the issue and my fear is that there is conspiracy between her and the only other direct member of my family, my brother to discommunicate me from all interest in that money as well as future inheritance.
I have tried posting this case to an attorney from this site and got a reply saying there were no attorneys available for my particular case in either the Spokane, Wash or the CDA Idaho area

BelizeBreeze

And even if you did find an attorney you would have to prove fraud (unless you're a minor) on the part of your mother an/or the attorney.

Simply put, you're an adult and you knew, or should have known what you were signing. You cannot now, come back and say, "Oops sorry, I changed my mind."

Now, that being said, because this is a part of your father's estate, you can contact the probate court in the county where he died and get a copy of the will (for a copying fee) and any other papers (including the one you signed because your mother would be required ot file it).

If the estate was never probated then you have an entirely new mess.

THe first thing to do is to contact the probate court then come back here and let us know what they said.

seniorjudge

You state that you voluntarily signed away the interest you had in a piece of real estate. You then state that you wish you had not done this.

I guess what I want to know is, "What is your legal question for us?"

ms_wolfey

seniorjudge said:
You state that you voluntarily signed away the interest you had in a piece of real estate. You then state that you wish you had not done this.

I guess what I want to know is, "What is your legal question for
us?"
I didnt realize what had happened until after the fact when my husband discussed it with me. The purpose that i was signing the paper as i understood it was so that my mother could sell the land.

seniorjudge

...The purpose that i was signing the paper as i understood it was so that my mother could sell the land....

That is correct. And the only way she could sell it would be for you to convey your interest to her, which is what you said you did.

ms_wolfey

......but she didnt say 'oh by the way' - you are signing your entitlement to your portion of the money from the sale away.
Nothing was explained to me by either her or the accountant. The purpose for going there to sign paperwork was so that she could sell the land

BelizeBreeze

ms_wolfey said:
......but she didnt say 'oh by the way' - you are signing your entitlement to your portion of the money from the sale away.
Nothing was explained to me by either her or the accountant. The purpose for going there to sign paperwork was so that she could sell the land
So, you're two years old?

You're an adult. Deal with your failure to read.

seniorjudge

ms_wolfey said:
......but she didnt say 'oh by the way' - you are signing your entitlement to your portion of the money from the sale away. Nothing was explained to me by either her or the accountant. The purpose for going there to sign paperwork was so that she could sell the land
You are exactly correct. That is what the document said and thus, when you signed it, that meant you agreed with it 100%.

ms_wolfey

Theres alittle bit more to it than just that.
Its not like she needs it - not at all. But i do. It seems like a pretty unethical situation to have signed over that much money to her and she cant part with a portion of my share to help.

seniorjudge

It seems like a pretty unethical situation to have signed over that much money to her and she cant part with a portion of my share to help.

I don't think you are a bit unethical; I think you were very nice to her.

ms_wolfey

.....and there is nothing that i can do now that i need it so badly? I have already requested the will from Arizona probate court

Happy Trails

ms_wolfey said:
.....and there is nothing that i can do now that i need it so badly? I have already requested the will from Arizona probate court
Hon, you signed any rights you had over to your mother.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">