• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with Grandma's estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Black Dahlia

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Just over a year ago my Grandmother passed away. At the time I was so wrapped up in her care and grief after her passing that I didn't even think about what was happening with her estate. Things haven't played out as she explained to me and I need to find out what happened.

Every Sunday when we went out to lunch my Grandmother would tell me as we drove by the bank that she had $10,000 in an account for me that she wanted me to use for college. It was important to her, but I always changed the subject because... well I naively didn't want to think about losing her. All her physical property was taken by my Uncle before she even died. Any sentimental keepsakes are long gone and I have to just let that go. But I'm in school now, struggling to get a degree and wondering what happened.

No one has said anything and it's sensitive subject between people with already strained relationships, so I tried to find out on my own. Got a copy of the will from the courthouse. The will is the bare minimum and stated that

"I give certain items of personal property, including all policies of insurance relating to such tangible personal property, and claims under such policies, in accordance with a memorandum which I intend to leave at my death."

*Should there be a copy of this memorandum somewhere? All I got from the courthouse was the will. It's all I asked for, but I wasn't expecting there to be something else.

*My father and Uncle are her only surviving children and named executors. Do they have to submit some kind of record to the county before they can close the estate? I know it has to stay open for at least a year, but knowing these two men it will be wrapped up the first day it's legal to do so. That would be soon if it hasn't already happened.

*How can I find out what they did with everything????

I don't want to point fingers and jump to negative conclusions. Even if something shady did happen, it's highly unlikely I would pursue it. I just need to know.

Any advise is appreciated.

Sincere thanks,
Dahlia

Last edited:

curb1

If the will made it to probate court the whole file should be open to the public. You need to ask more questions when you get to the courthouse. Did your grandmother own any property?

Your Dad and Uncle are not the executors until given that status by the probate court.

Black Dahlia

If the will made it to probate court the whole file should be open to the public. You need to ask more questions when you get to the courthouse. Did your grandmother own any property?

Your Dad and Uncle are not the executors until given that status by the probate court.
Yes, she had a house that was paid off and investments. What kind of investments I'm not sure other than mutual funds. The house was sold prior to her death. My father and uncle were very proactive in dealing with that end of things.

Thank You so much for replying!!!

justalayman

something else you might check into is:

if g-ma had an account with $10k in it and is was designated as a TOD or POD account (transfer on death or pay on death), the money could be setting in the bank as we speak. Contact the bank she was speaking about and explain the situation that your g-ma had died and this account she spoke of has not turned up in her probate case and you thought she might have designated it as a TOD account. It would not be part of the probate if she had set it up in this manner.

Obviously many times good intentions are never carried through but it wouldn't hurt to check.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">