• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help! mom may need to go to a nursing home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wildman

Ga. My elderly mom may need to go to a nursing home. Is there a way to avoid having the nursing home take possession of the property? This consists of the house she lives in, and a 2nd property as well. My brother stays at the primary home as well. Both properties are willed to my brother and I after her death.
Thank you for your time and advice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ga. My elderly mom may need to go to a nursing home. Is there a way to avoid having the nursing home take possession of the property? This consists of the house she lives in, and a 2nd property as well. My brother stays at the primary home as well. Both properties are willed to my brother and I after her death.
Why shouldn't your mom's assets be used to pay for her care? :confused:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You can pay out of pocket for your mom's care.

RRevak

I also want to put out that nobody on here is going to assist you in committing fraud which, btw, is what you're essentially asking us to do. Either use your mothers assets to pay for her care or plan on paying out of pocket unless you have adequate enough insurance to cover the cost in whole.

Wildman

I also want to put out that nobody on here is going to assist you in committing fraud which, btw, is what you're essentially asking us to do. Either use your mothers assets to pay for her care or plan on paying out of pocket unless you have adequate enough insurance to cover the cost in whole.
NO. Of course I'm not asking how to commit fraud. I don't even know what fraud you may be referring too! The 2 properties are the only assets. I am asking about the law, not knowing that myself. I have heard of folks putting the property in their children's name to avoid a situation as I have explained, but realize it may be too late for my situation. Is there another solution that is legal?

commentator

Is your brother disabled, receiving Social Security Disability or SSI or in any way limited in function like this? If so, that is the exception under which they cannot put a lien on your mother's house, if she does not have enough assets to cover her care out of pocket and they are trying to sign her up on Medicaid. That's the entity that will pay the bills after she has exhausted her days of Medicare paying (if any) and needs to stay longer, and no longer has the assets to do so without Medicaid. They'd put a lien on the house and take whatever is owed them after her passing. But they do not take the home if it is also the home of a disabled adult child, I believe. Your nursing home social worker, and the people at the Medicaid office will be able to help you a lot with these issues. But there's no being "crafty" or protecting your assets at this point.

If your mother had deeded the home over to you and your brother say about six or seven years ago, you'd be the owners of the home and they would not consider it as an asset of her estate. Otherwise, they go back several years, about five or more, and look to see if there's been any transfer of assets in an attempt to defraud Medicaid. She would not be eligible until the value of all assets, including something she tried to get rid of in the last five years (the "look back" period) was spent.

If your mother has to have nursing home care, there's no reason she should not pay for it until her assets are depleted. If she'd fallen over suddenly and passed away, you'd own her home free and clear. It's a gamble you take that your elderly parent will not need expensive care in her final years. But if she does, that's the reason she saved and worked and bought the house in the first place, to take care of herself, not to give it to you and your brother.

anteater

The only other possible exception would be if your brother can prove that he provided caregiving to your mother for two years that enabled her to remain in her residence. In those circumstances, an ownership transfer of the home to your brother might be possible. See an elder law attorney if you attempt this.

LdiJ

There are TWO properties in question here...
Yep, at LEAST one of them is going to have to be sold or rented to pay for nursing home care. However, if a family member is the one who is living in one or more of the homes, if the family member pays fair market rent and that fair market rent goes towards paying the nursing home, that is legal too. I know lots of people who have done that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">