• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help please, probate question!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I live in Missouri
my question is:
I am the executor of two minor childrens estate that I am adopting. They recieved a life insurance check that was sent to me, I was told that this was not going to be part of the estate, now the lawyer says he needs to do an appraisal of the estate and needs the statement on this money. I have spent some of the money and my question is could I lose the children over this and also could I be prosecuted?

ALawyer

WHOA!

Who was the beneficiary of the policy? Who was the check made out to - you as a beneficiary, or you as executor or guardian, etc.?

A life insurance check is typically not part of the PROBATE estate. But it is part of the federally and in some states locally / state taxable estate.

Did you spend the money on the kids? or to take yourself a vacation and pay off debts not related to caring for the kids?

------------------
To retain a lawyer, I suggest you go to http://AttorneyPages.com which is endorsed by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America. This response is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. As you are not my client I have no obligation of any kind to you.

The money was spent on things for the kids. The checks were made out to them, and they are my niece and nephew.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">