• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! Power of Attorney Issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AnneV101

My problem is in regards to my grandfather. In 1997 he gave Power of Attorney to a grandson. A few weeks ago my cousin exercised the Power of Attorney. My grandfather says he didn't give Power of Attorney and that if he did he didn't know what he was signing. My cousin exercised the Power of Attorney because he says my grandfather had given a woman he has dated for the past 10 years over $250,000. I know this can't be true because my grandfather never had that much money. At one time I knew his finances. I'm listed in my grandfather's Will as one of the beneficiaries (he and my grandmother) raised me as their child. I believe my cousin exaggerated the amount of money given to this woman in order to justify exercising Power of Attorney. The problem is my grandfather's mental capacities aren't in great shape. He would like to take back the Power of Attorney. Since exercising the Power of Attorney my cousin (and his mother who is my grandfather's daughter) have changed my grandfather's phone number without telling him. They did this so that the woman can't call my grandfather. They also put a block on his phone so that he can't call her. I feel this was stepping out of bonds from his power. I need to know what rights my grandfather has? Can he reverse the Power of Attorney even if he could be declared mentally incompetent? My cousin has also mentioned taking me out of the will? Can he do this? My concerns are more for my grandfather and his right to live out his remaining years with the dignity, love and respect he so richly deserves. This whole situation is so complicated. Very hard to completely get across the scope of the situation in this forum. I'm so worried about all of this and would appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

------------------
Anne in Ohio

[This message has been edited by AnneV101 (edited October 23, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">