• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! Requesting copies of a trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cserrah

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello, I came here because I really need some advice on how to proceed. My step-grandmother recently passed away, and has designated a man who helped her with finances and who also lives in her old house as the trustee.

Some background:
She was married to my grandfather, who bought a separate house for me and my family live in. He has discussed with my mother that the house will be given to me and put in my name after him and his wife have both passed. My step-grandmother is estranged, but has been specific in following my grandfathers wishes, and was paying the fees on my family's house up until her death. My father is the only child and is the direct heir, however he has been a missing and rather unreliable part of my family, and doesn't live with us.

My question:
When I found out my grandmother had passed, I got the trustee information from my father, and contacted him. He told me that basically he has sent everything to a lawyer and its a waiting game for 5 months to close out the estate, and then we will all know what goes where. I was then advised to get a copy of the trust, but when I contacted him, he told me he had given my father a copy, but that he was waiting on a list from the lawyer of who to distribute the trust to. He said he would distribute it to those who are entitled, and until then it was a private matter "to protect the family!"

How can I get a copy of this trust? I am sure the trustee has seen the beneficiaries so why is he acting like I am an outsider unless I am not a beneficiary? Am I entitled to a copy of this trust and should I push this further? I can talk to my father about getting it but I prefer to have it direct from the source.

Thank you

anteater

If you are a beneficiary, then you are entitled to:

16060.7. On the request of a beneficiary, the trustee shall provide
the terms of the trust to the beneficiary unless the trustee is not
required to provide the terms of the trust to the beneficiary in
accordance with Section 16069.
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=prob&group=16001-17000&file=16060-16069

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">