• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with rights after death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Harbinger

What is the name of your state? Unspecified as the info's for a screenplay. Generic information required. Possibly Salem, Boston.

Hi,

Currently writing a screenplay and hoped this would be the place to answer a few legal issues that crop up in the course of the story.

Here's the situation...

A woman is institutionalized by her husband to a psychiactric hospital. She dies while in the hospital's care. Years later he dies. Does their daughter have rights with regards to access to her medical treatment, diagnosis, medication, psychiactric session notes or videos? Is the doctor bound, legally, to the patient-doctor privilege? If the doctor is not legally bound, would some feel that ethically it would be wrong to divulge this information to a family member?

I'm thinking that a direct blood relative would have some rights to this information. Wouldn't the husband be 'kept up to date' on his wife's progress?

I'm developing a new scene for my horror script and this could help with some exposition.

Thanks for your feedback. :)

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Harbinger said:
What is the name of your state? Unspecified as the info's for a screenplay. Generic information required.

Hi,

Currently writing a screenplay and hoped this would be the place to answer a few legal issues that crop up in the course of the story.

Here's the situation...

A woman is institutionalized by her husband to a psychiactric hospital. She dies while in the hospital's care. Years later he dies. Does their daughter have rights with regards to access to her medical treatment, diagnosis, medication, psychiactric session notes or videos? Is the doctor bound, legally, to the patient-doctor privilege? If the doctor is not legally bound, would some feel that ethically it would be wrong to divulge this information to a family member?

I'm thinking that a direct blood relative would have some rights to this information. Wouldn't the husband be 'kept up to date' on his wife's progress?

I'm developing a new scene for my horror script and this could help with some exposition.

Thanks for your feedback.

My response:

Who cares? Just take Literary License and write the scene that fits the way you want it to be.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">