• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help us kids

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bluedog40

joint account

What is the name of your state? Nevada
My father and I opened a joint mutual fund account 20 years ago.He said he was to pay child support for us four children and since he never did pay any.This money is to be split four ways upon his death.Now at the age of 80 he moved to Mexico and married a 30-year-old woman.He wants me to take 20% of the money for us and send him the other 80%.He also has the start of dementia.I would like to know do I have to do this or do we both have to agree since it is a joint account.I would like to stick to our original agreement.He has already sold his home,closed all of his other accounts and written a new will and given all of this to her nothing is left state side.Please help us kids.

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Ask him to send you a letter in writing (with his signature witnessed by a notary public) about his desire for you all to get the 20% and then you should be talking to the mutual fund company. They may require permission from both since this is a joint account, or they might just ask for HIS opinion and he might take complete control of the account.

You also need to be talking to a family law attorney about whether you need to be getting a guardianship or conservatorship for him to control his finances.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">