• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

biffpantera

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ct
I have lived with my partner for almost 9 years, in a home owned solely by her. She passed-on recently and willed the property to me and named me executor of her estate. We were not married. I have submitted the will to probate along with an application for temporary administrator. The problem is, and has been for a long time, her son (and his wife). He feels entitled to the property and has been actively attempting to acquire it long before his mother's death, against her wishes. When she passed the son and his wife stormed our house where I and many of our friends -and professionals- were caring for her to "acquire" her body with a funeral director - they had that right by law apparently because of Next of Kin and the fact that me and my partner weren't married. And then they published an obit leaving me out, in essence they are trying to make it look like we were never involved.

Drama aside, immediate concern is am I safe in this home right now? Can they evict me? Obviously I didn't have a lease or pay "rent", but I need to travel for work soon - can they just enter the home and remove my existence? Would that be legal? I have no idea what my legal status is and I asked the lawyer who drew up her will, but can't get a concrete answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (I'm in Connecticut)

curb1

Get an attorney who will answer your questions. From the information given you seem to be legally protected. Is there more to the story? Was the will properly made? Probate should make the situation more clear.

biffpantera

I did change a couple of locks.

The will was created by my partner and her attorney. Today the attorney is filing the will in probate and an application for temporary administration for me...I guess thats all I can do for now...and hope.

The insane thing about this is the cold-heartedness of it all; not allowing people to grieve and process what really matters.

thanks for the responses

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">