• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

At home mess....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Scorpion1

Help, I have a mess on my hands. My husband and I bought a house with my mom. Although she only added 1/3 of 13,000 we put down at closing. She did not contribute to the $10,000 we put down for the builder to break ground.

We were going to pay her for child care, but my husband lost his job and so we could not. We ended up filing for 13 bk, and have now completed the plan. In July 2000, my Mother brought her down syndrome brother to live in the house without my or my husbands permission. He can be quite violent and my 62 yr old mom cannot handle him.

Needless to say, my husband, I and two minor children are at our wits end about what we can do. Just because mom is part owner, does that give all the rights to the home? What about others to live in the home right's. My husband and I pay all the mort, taxes, ins., and all utilities. How can she claim to be owner when she will not contribute to any of the mortges or taxes, or equity payments.

A

advisor10

3-13-2002

DEAR SCORPION:

What state is this in?

Please post your message on the LANDLORD/TENANT message board of freeadvice.com, where you are much more likely to get an appropriate response to your situation.

It was very cheeky of your mother to have forced her way in to your home, but you all are partly responsible also for not insisting that she find somewhere else to live (I'm sure you all were just trying to be nice). Just because she helped with the down payment does not give her any rights of occupancy.

Is your mother getting any type of assistance from Social Security or any other organization to help care for this person?

You may need to contact an attorney that specializes in eviction to get more information about your rights, and you may also want to check with the local social service agencies (welfare office, Down Syndome support group, etc.) to see if you could get the Down syndrome gentleman placed in a group home or some other option.

Is your mother gainfully employed and could she afford to be self-supporting if she lived somewhere else?

SINCERELY,

advisor

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">