• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House goes to my two brothers according to the will.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carpyblue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

Mom died in 2010. In the will she left the house (value over $100,000) to my two brothers. She left me all her love, and that is all I got. I did not even get any momentos. The two brothers are getting ready to sell the house now and leave me out in the cold It does not look good for me. Is there anything I can do to get my fair 1/3 share? Like a lien on the house or maybe an injunction to stop the sale of the house? I have not consulted an attorney yet and not sure if it is even worth the effort. stressed in Spokane, WA.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Mom died in 2010. In the will she left the house (value over $100,000) to my two brothers. She left me all her love, and that is all I got. I did not even get any momentos. The two brothers are getting ready to sell the house now and leave me out in the cold It does not look good for me. Is there anything I can do to get my fair 1/3 share? Like a lien on the house or maybe an injunction to stop the sale of the house? I have not consulted an attorney yet and not sure if it is even worth the effort. stressed in Spokane, WA.
What are you talking about...your "fair 1/3 share"? Your mother was absolutely clear on her wishes. It was her house to do with as she pleased. I'm sorry that you don't like it, but there's really nothing that's even unfair. It isn't your house and it never was.

Eekamouse

Are you living in the house? How is them selling it leaving you out in the cold?

adjusterjack

Is there anything I can do to get my fair 1/3 share?
Not only don't you have grounds, but even if you did have grounds, the statute of limitations ran out long ago.

See RCW 11.24.010:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.24&full=true

You had 4 months from the date the will was probate to contest it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">