• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can trust be disolved?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hokor

Maine--My family members (5 beneficiaries) want to dissolve an "irrevokable" trust established upon the death of a family member 27 years ago, as it no longer is needed for the purposes originally specified, and we agree that funds could be used better if not "managed" and maintained by the bank. The trust will be divided up upon the death of my mother, who is in good health and also in agreement to dissolve the trust.

How easy (or difficult) will this be? I understand it may be possible to bring the matter before a probate court and show that all 5 beneficiaries believe it is in the best interest to dissolve the trust, and this may be adequate. (I also understand we can show the bank has not managed the trust appropriately--a possible but far less deirable route...) Please advise! Thanks--

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">