• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to check contents of a will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

linda hines

My father-in-law died 5 years ago in Jackson Mississippi. He left the 4 kids land, and his wife the house and 80 acreas. The land to the kids was never deeded to them.
The mother died a year ago this past november without a will.
The will is suppose to be in probate.
I would like to know how i can locate a copy of the will. Are wills open to the public?
What do information do i need to take with me? Where would the wills in prbate be stored
Thank you

JETX

Once a will has been filed with the Probate court, it is public record and can be viewed by anyone.

Contact the Probate Court for the county where the deceased lived and see about getting a copy (or at least viewing the file).

A

advisor10

01-08-2000

How long ago were you told that the will was "in probate"? Most probate matters can be cleared up within a year after the person has died, so it is most likely that the estate has already been settled and the will is probably on file now at the county courthouse. If you can't visit the courthouse in person, then have copies of the entire probate file mailed to you to see how the entire estate was handled.

You do not need to take any information with you, except the month and date of death and the city of death of the person who died. Yes, wills are public record and are open to anyone who wants to view it.

You may also want to consider contacting a probate attorney in your area to see how your mother's assets will be distributed.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">