• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to determine if Im a beneficiary of a trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

prettygreatguy

This takes place in CA

My father died recently and Im not sure if he had a will or a trust setup. Its been suggested by a family member that there was a trust setup with me as a beneficiary, but I havent been contacted by anyone regarding it. I called the probate court clerk in his county and they said they dont have record of his will.

It is basically assumed that either these things dont exist, or if they do his wife could be attempting to hide them from us. Would it be possible for her to hide his will or trust from us? If shes the trustee of the trust, and Im a beneficiary, could she prevent me from being informed/receiving my benefit? Is it possible she is the only person with knowledge/access to his will and is simply choosing not to turn it in? Is there a way I can find out definitely if either of these things exist?

prettygreatguy

He did not inform me of a will or a trust, however he did ask for my social security number a while back, which could imply me being a beneficiary of a trust.

He's been terminally ill for about 3 years, so he had plenty of time to get things in order. I know he was on top of life insurance, married his now wife basically so she would have access to his social security, etc.

Eekamouse

They would have had to been married at least 10 years for her to be entitled to any of his social security benefits, I believe. Why can't you just ask her if there was a will or trust?

prettygreatguy

I will ask her eventually, but for now Im looking for ways to find out myself. If I ask and she says no there will still be questions... so Im trying to see if I can find out on my own.

prettygreatguy

yeah I have already done that for the county he lived in. They said they didnt have a record of it. If the only copy of his will resides with his wife, it is fully possible (albiet illegal) that she has not provided it to the probate court clerk correct?

prettygreatguy

And we have another twist...

My dad had a car that he left to me. I know that he filled out the title to be transferred to me before his death, I have seen the title and that it was filled out. Since then his wife has claimed that the paperwork is lost and that she will have to transfer it into her name and then transfer it to me. Although I have been suggesting that it does exist and asked if she's looked thru any files of his, she has ignored my questions and instead tranferred it into her name and says she is now ready to transfer it to me. She is now asking me for my social security number? My SSN has nothing to do with a vehicle tranfser unless I am mistaken. Moreover, the transfer of the title to me can/needs to be completed by me, not her... she just fills out her side of the title.

Any ideas why she would need my SSN?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">