• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how do I disinherit myself from my family's will?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

teritoo

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Family is in Connecticut
How do I disinherit myself from my father's will? My family is extremely dysfunctional (abuse and addiction) and I have not spoken to them in over three years. My mother recently phoned about my brother's upcoming wedding, threatening to disenherit me because I will not attend. (When my father passes she will inherit everything, and when she passes it will be split equally among the four children) It seems to be her last "hold" on me as the inheritance is substantial. Along with sending a letter explaining why I cannot attend the wedding, I want to include a legal document that disinherits myself from their Will. Would a simple signed statement be sufficient? Is their any specific wording I need to use? I just want to maintain the peace I have found in my life.
Thanks, in advance, for your time.
teritoo

S

seniorjudge

teritoo said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Family is in Connecticut
How do I disinherit myself from my father's will? My family is extremely dysfunctional (abuse and addiction) and I have not spoken to them in over three years. My mother recently phoned about my brother's upcoming wedding, threatening to disenherit me because I will not attend. (When my father passes she will inherit everything, and when she passes it will be split equally among the four children) It seems to be her last "hold" on me as the inheritance is substantial. Along with sending a letter explaining why I cannot attend the wedding, I want to include a legal document that disinherits myself from their Will. Would a simple signed statement be sufficient? Is their any specific wording I need to use? I just want to maintain the peace I have found in my life.
teritoo
You cannot disinherit yourself until there is something to inherit. It is called (in some places) a renunciation. Nothing you signed now would do anything.

Thus, tell them you ain't a-comin' and if they want to disinherit you, then that will save you the trouble of filing a renunciation when the time comes, thank you very much.

anteater

teritoo said:
teritoo
Now that is some strange logic. If you don't care about the inheritance anyway, how can it be a "hold" on you?

You think that if you tell mother that you don't care about the inheritance that she won't find something else to use as a club?

teritoo

anteater...not my logic, but my mothers. She seems to believe it is her last "hold" on me. I guess I didn't make that clear when i posted. As for her using another club, money is her weapon, always has been, but I don't want this to start sounding like a post for Oprah. I was hoping there was some way of saying "I want nothing of your inheritance, here it is in writing, now please leave me alone." that's all.

TY to you and seniorjudge for answering. i did a Search on the word "disinherit". I was saddened and shocked to read some of it....people fighting over what they think they are due...people leaving one dollar to someone to send them a message. I want nothing to do with that, and was hoping there was some way I could legally "nip it in the bud" and walk away now.
Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.
teritoo

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">