• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I find out if I was a beneficiary on my fathers will...(complicated!!)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

t12r27c85

My father died (of cancer) when I was 6 years old in 1967 (my mother divorced him when I was 2 or 3). When he died, he had a large sum of money in possession (sale of land, business, etc) as well as benefits from the military and the school system where he was employed. However, I never saw any of this money, but my 3 older brothers (from a different mother) mysteriously had enough money to buy several businesses. Now, it is many years later, but I am wondering if there is a way to find out if there was anything left to me from my father, as well as if my brothers have not given me my share or if any of this is possible.

I have his death certificate as well as something from the school system he worked for and the awards he received while in the military. How would I go about finding out who were the beneficiaries when my father passed away back in 1967?

Last edited:

curb1

Was father married when he died? Have you checked at the courthouse to see the probate records?

t12r27c85

Not married and I didn't even know where to begin, but I will see if there are court records to check. Thank you! Any more advice is greatly appreciated.

t12r27c85

He disappeared (we didn't grow up together, different mothers, but we never knew each other anyway) but the problem is I don't know 100% if there are assets, but I think there are from other information that I have received. I am going on Monday to check with the court to see if there have archived records from 1967 and to see if they have any info about this. I just have no idea where to start and how to go about this, but at this point of my life, I don't have the financial resources to hire one. I work full-time at Wal-mart and I only make $9 an hour and I'm single... so things aren't so easy.

I did find something else out today... my mother is a very sick person and stole the money from my sister's (from a different father) trust fund from an accident she was in as a child. I also found out recently that my mother was getting money from the VA and Social Security for me (from the death of my father) from 1967-1978, however, I DID NOT live with her and she did not give me this money. So, I have a feeling if I was given something my mother may have stolen it. In any case, I will still go to the court and see what I can find. If that was the case, that it was taken by my mother, is there anything I can do about it? Also, what about the money she took from the VA and Social Security office? I can prove I did not live with her. Can I do anything about that? Thank you so much for your time and your help!!

ecmst12

The people who would have been entitled to your SS benefits from your dad would be whoever raised and supported you, not you yourself.

anteater

I don't intend to sound harshly dismissive. Sometimes, simply determining what occurred is worthwhile.

But you have to be realistic. We're talking about what happened 40 - 50 years ago. Even if you are able to discover that you were shafted, it is unlikely that there is any legal action that you can take now.

curb1

The really big question is why did you wait this long to make an inquiry about this? You are not a young person anymore.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">