• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I have myself removed from a will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rlewis822

i live in Pennsylvania. i need to find out how I can have myself removed from a relatives will. they own a home and hold a lot of debt which includes leans on the property. I am one of three people listed to inherit the house. i don't want to end up in a position to be liable. i know the house is not worth much and don't think the other two would be in a position to meet the debt.
it is not a situation where i can ask the relative to remove me. she is not able to make those kinds of decisions at this time.

A

advisor10

2-5-2002

DEAR RLEWIS822:

You don't have to do anything. It would be much wiser for you to wait until after the person has died, and then decide how you want to handle this.

You can not be held responsible for anyone else's debt under ANY circumstances, so there will never be any liability for you.

When the person has died, IF there are still liens on the property, the creditors will enforce the lien and they would get ownership and there is no way you would ever receive title. However, there is a small chance that by the time this person dies, the debts may be paid off (or there may be enough life insurance or other assets in the estate to pay off the liens), and then you would be eligible to receive your share of the profits, as an heir, if they decided to sell the home.

Even if that happens, if you still don't want any share of the home, you can politely refuse it at that time by sending a certified letter to the executor.

Don't offend this relative by asking for your name to be removed, when their only intentions towards you were good ones. Spare this person's feelings and wait to decline until after they are deceased and they will not know anything about your refusal.

SINCERELY,

advisor

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">