• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how do i help protect my dying mother and myself

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bdlane

oklahoma. I live in oklahoma and my mother is dying of cancer. I called my sister that my mother has only spoken with 3 times in 10 years. My sister is now trying to access my moms banking info and she made a copy of my mom's credit cards. I let her get a poa (mom is still comp) and it will never be able to be used. my mom also did a will. My sister is acting very suspicious. Is there anyway she could access my mom's accounts? If so, what can I do to protect my mom and myself? My mom is leaving us with 5050 split.

curb1

What does this mean?

You said, "I let her get a poa (mom is still comp) and it will never be able to be used".

bdlane

my mom is still competent and probably will be until she dies. the poa is Power of Attorney. my sister wanted to get this set up, but in oklahoma a poa is not effective unless 2 doctors sign off that my mom is incompetent.

bdlane

also too i wanted to mention that my mom is gravely ill right now and my sister is wanting to talk to her to pay the taxes on the property that we will inherit. i just think it's crappy.

anteater

....but in oklahoma a poa is not effective unless 2 doctors sign off that my mom is incompetent.
That may be true if the Power of Attorney document was written as a "springing power of attorney." But, as a broad statement pertaining to Powers of Attorney in general, it is not the case.

While having a Power of Attorney in place is a great idea, why didn't your mother grant you the power?

You can put an innocent spin on this and say that if your sister is, or potentially is, your mother's agent, then she should have some idea about your mother's assets, liabilities, and accounts. Or you can take the more sinister view that your mother may have let the fox into the hen house.

...my sister is wanting to talk to her to pay the taxes on the property that we will inherit.
This is unclear. Your sister wants to pay the property (?) taxes with her own funds? Does your mother have sufficient funds to pay the taxes herself?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">