• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I obtain copy of a will?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

latindancer1966

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I need to obtain copy of a will, my fiancee issued one prior to death, we have a son together. He died in Fairfax County,VA in 1997, I know a will was generated because he told me prior to passing. However his father, who was named the trustee of his estate has never given me a copy. I am pretty sure something was left for me and my son, but I have tried several times to search, but do not know where to start.

Can someone assist and what I am suppose to do.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

contact the court that deals with probate (often known as a probate court but not always) where the estate was probated (generally the county of the decedents residence). Ask them for a copy of the probate file. It is a matter of public record and should be available for a nominal copying fee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">