• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I see my recently deceased grandmother's will?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Emery Soueira

I live in Hawaii. My grandmother was sent to the mainland because my aunt decided to take care of her. Since she passed away, the will hasn't been read. (she passed away 7/2000) How do I go about seeing the will?

ALawyer

If there was a Will, the executor should have filed it in the probate court in the county in which grandma lived. If the executor did not, then the next of kin can go to probate court and demand that it be filed, or seek to become administrator / personal representative and handle the estate as though she died without a will. As notice is given to lots of people, including all heirs at law, if there is a will the person then runs into court with it 99% of the time. Your grandmother's children are next of kin if alive, and if yorr parent is dead, then you are able to act.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">