• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I transfer probate from Texas to Florida?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JHabblett

My daughter was a military wife who died in Austria while serving in Germany with her husband, who with all the children died at the same time.

They claimed Texas so they would not have to pay income tax. Never owned real property in Texas. Will states Texas.

I am in Florida. It would be easier for me to probate this <$50,000 Estate in Florida.

Who, what, where, why etc do I do?

A

advisor10

(01-11-2001)

It would seem that the primary determining factor of how the will is going to be probated is that it depends on where the person died--it just might be that Austrian law might apply, but then again since the person was a US resident, then US law might apply. I don't know exactly.

Try contacting the branch of the military to see if someone there can advise you (perhaps this same situation has come up in the past). Was Texas the primary residence of the daughter or the husband or of the entire family?

What is in the estate? Cash, real estate, insurance policy proceeds--what is the $50,000 comprised of?

Since you probably don't want to travel to Austria to clear up the matter, there may be some papers you could sign to relieve you of that obligation and handle everything here or perhaps the military could suggest (through their contacts in Austria) the name of an attorney who could represent your interests there.

Let me know if the military can't help you and I will see if I can find you an Austrian attorney.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">