• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How does a named trustee gain access to trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

np

My mother recently died in Illinois. She had a living trust in which my sister and I were named as co-trustees and co-beneficiaries. There is also a residuary trust for which my mother, my sister, and I have been co-trustees, and on which estate taxes were paid when my father died earlier. My understanding is that the residuary trust should be immediately available to my sister and me and that the living trust should be available for paying hospital bills, funeral expenses, etc. These assets and trust accounts are all held by one brokerage firm, in which my sister and I also have accounts. Although we have sent my mother's death certificate, someone at the brokerage firm insists that my sister and I have to be recertified as trustees before having access to these accounts for writing checks for necessary payments; they have sent a large packet of information to my mother's lawyer. My sister and I both live out of town, and it seems to me that this firm is placing unnecessary roadblocks in the way. What are the legal requirements?

dmode101

It should not be that difficult to confirm successor trusteeship. Simple sending them a certified copy of the relevant portions of the trust should be sufficient. I'm also wondering how your mom has a lawyer if she is no longer alive. If you choose to hire him, he/she may represent you as trustees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">