• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to find out if I am a beneficiary?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

Icaru

What is the name of your state? CA

My step-mother died a few weeks ago. Before dying she insisted that I send my overseas address to her husband (not my father). Years ago I knew that I was a beneficiary in her will but I do not know now if that is still true. Her husband told friends that he did not know how to locate me. I sent him my address but cannot know for sure that he will acknowledge it.

Is there any way that I can find out about my step-mother's will? She died in Northridge, CA on July 11.

Thanks, Icaru

Dandy Don

My sympathies on your loss. Normally the will is filed at the county courthouse probate court within 30 days after the death, but you must realize that sometimes, due to grief or the many business matters that an executor or relative must attend to, filing the will may not be a top priority and may be delayed for a short while.

Northridge, CA is part of Los Angeles County, so you can call or write the following for more information:

ATTENTION: Index Section/Probate Records Phone (213) 974-5175
LOS ANGELES SUPERIOR COURT
PROBATE DEPT. (CENTRAL DISTRICT)
111 N. HILL ST., ROOM 258
LOS ANGELES, CA 90012

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

\--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">