• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how legal is a promise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vamomma

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virginia

I recently became a widow. My husband and I both had wills leaving everything to the surviving spouse. If the spouse pre-deceased either of us, everything would be left to our 3 sons to be divided equally.

My oldest son now informs me that he is demanding the $10,000 his father promised him when we sold one of our country properties. He told me that a promise is legal and valid and will take me to court to get his money. I know that his father had talked about possibly doing something like that, with each son getting $5,000 in cash and $5,000 in securities that could not be touched for a certain amount of time -- mainly for the benefit of this older son to have in his later years. My husband never formalized this plan by including it in a will or even writing it down. How serious should I take this threat from my son? His 2 brothers find it absolutely ridiculous that I should even think that I have to worry. This son has made a habit of suing for easy money and has filed bankruptcy just to get out of paying debts. Advice please!

Thank you!

JETX

vamomma said:
My oldest son now informs me that he is demanding the $10,000 his father promised him when we sold one of our country properties. He told me that a promise is legal and valid and will take me to court to get his money.
Tell this little weasel to pound sand. His 'claim' of a promise payment died with his father.

How serious should I take this threat from my son?
Not very.

BelizeBreeze

vamomma said:
My oldest son now informs me that he is demanding the $10,000 his father promised him when we sold one of our country properties. He told me that a promise is legal and valid and will take me to court to get his money. Thank you!
Ask your son if this promise by his father is like all the promises he made to you and your husband in his young life....

Then have a very deep and loud belly laugh and throw his ass out of your home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">