• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how long can a will be held up?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michael volpe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? new jersey

thanks for the previously great advice. hope you can help again.
my girlfriend is a benificiary in her late aunts estate.
her late aunts will stipulates a certain grandson gets 'nothing' from her estate.
i assume this was added in so he could not sue later on stating he was forgotten about.
the grandson has to sign a letter stating he understands he is getting nothing. until this gets signed, nothing can 'supposedly' get done with the will. he is unwilling to do sign the document.

i cannot see, that there canot be some sort of stutute of limitations on how long he has to sign?
he could hold everything up for years if that were the case (and most likely his wishes)
at some point doesn't some law kick in that says.....something along the lines of....'failure to sign after (??months, years) acknowledges you get nothing?

wouldn't this make sense?
a good amount of people are waiting on this.

thanks in advance,
mike

anteater

the grandson has to sign a letter stating he understands he is getting nothing.
I don't know all that much about NJ probate details, but I doubt that he has to sign something acknowledging that he receives nothing. It is probably a notice/consent to the appointment of an executor for the probate estate. If he refuses to sign, I suspect that the nominated executor will have to petition the court to allow probate to proceed without that consent.

The nominated executor should be able to explain it to your girlfriend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">