• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long does a judge have to make a decision?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

littleclassic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

After filing for Formal Proof of Will, regarding my father's will, five months previously, it went before a judge on March 20, 2009. As of today, April 22, 2009 we still don't have a decision. After hearing the case, the judge said she would consider it and make a ruling on it later that afternoon.
I have checked with my attorney a few times over the past 41/2 weeks and he always tells me he has heard nothing and of course, he says he is not allowed to approach the judge about it.

MY QUESTION IS THIS: Is there some sort of system in place to insure that a judge does not forget about a case he/she has hanging in limbo? Does it appear on the docket daily until a judgement is filed - does someone remind him/her periodically?
I can't help but wonder if she can effectively rule on this case after hearing it over four weeks ago... if she even remembers she has this case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">