• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long does it take to settle a will that is not contested?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sscheu8135

I was left money by my great uncle who lived in Ohio. It has now been 14 months and the word is no one is contesting it. There are only 3 people who are in the will. I have tried to call the lawyer who is supposedly handling it and all they do is take your name and number and no one ever calls you back. Thank you in advance for any advice.

A

advisor10

3-9-2002

DEAR SSCHEU:

If your great uncle's estate was relatively simple and uncomplicated, it should have been probated through court in a couple of months. Looks like they are trying to keep you in the dark or stalling you so they won't have to pay up. The only valid reason that you would not be paid yet is if there was not enough money left over in the estate after all debts and estate expenses were paid.

Did you ever see the will?

You need to call or write to the county courthouse probate court of the city where your uncle died to see if the will has been filed for probate yet. If you can visit the courthouse in person, you can look at the file and all the other documentation in it to see how the estate was handled.

It's very strange that the executor attorney has not called you back to give you information one way or the other about whether you are a beneficiary.

After you get more information about the estate, you will be in a better position to know whether you need to contact the attorney/executor by certified letter (so you can prove you made contact with him--phone calls are not good enough to get the job done), or whether you would need to get your own attorney to start claiming the money you are due. With a little bit of checking on your own, you should be able to find out enough information to get the money yourself without having to pay an attorney.

Be a little bit more aggressive about standing up for your rights and you will eventually get what is coming to you. They are giving you the brushoff.

SINCERELY,

advisor

A

advisor10

3-9-2002

If you will mention what city and state in Ohio that the death occurred in, I can get the address and phone number of the probate court so that you can contact them about getting copies of the probate file mailed to you (you will have to pay about 50 cents to $1.00 per page for the copies), since you can't visit the courthouse in person. Or, if you have a friend or relative who lives in that city in Ohio who could go to the county courthouse and look at the file for you (it is available for free), perhaps that might be a better option.

SINCERELY,

advisor

Ashley829

Advisor

I have been reading this board for many many months, and although I have nothing to do with this situation, I have my own probate/will problems with a sibling, I did want to write you and say how wonderful you are in giving advise and really going above and beyond the call to help this person!
Its nice to see some on this board can give advise without being mean!
Diane Ashley

S

sscheu8135

Answer to what city

He died in Washinton Court House Ohio. It was Fayette County, very small town. Thank you so much for the help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">