• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much responsiblilty do I have?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cmmarie

My 21 year old son died a month ago. There was no will etc.
I want to know how much resposiblity I have for his debts?
Am I legally responsible for them? Thanks Marie

ALawyer

My condolences on your loss. As a parent there is little I can say and as a lawyer there is little I can add except that it is unlikely you also will incur financial loss on top of the great loss you have already suffered.

Unless you expressly or impliedly signed for or otherwise guaranteed the obligations of your son, you have no financial responsibility for the obligations.

However, to the extent that his estate had any assets of value, the estate would have to be used to repay his creditors BEFORE his assets could be distributed to his heirs at law (his children, if any, or his spouse, if any, or his parents).

If there are any items that he owned, make a careful record of them just in case a creditor comes around and asks you to pay -- you will want to show you did not take the value and leave them with the debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">