• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much time does being a successor trustee take?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nonnal

I have been asked by a friend to serve as a trustee in the event of her death. There are no known complications, but I do not know the value of the estate/trust other than that she owns property. Before committing to serving as a trustee, I would like to know how much time I should expect to spend in this capacity. I understand that it can take 1-2 years to fully close out the trust/estate/whatever, but am more interested on what kind of impact it will have on me on a day-to-day, week-to-week, and/or month-to-month basis. Are we talking 2 hours a day, 2 hours a week, 2 hours a month? I understand that trustees can be "reasonably" compensated from the trust, but I'm less concerned about reimbursement than about the impact on my schedule, family life, etc.

(For reference, she and I both live in California, USA.)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Just Blue

I have been asked by a friend to serve as a trustee in the event of her death. There are no known complications, but I do not know the value of the estate/trust other than that she owns property. Before committing to serving as a trustee, I would like to know how much time I should expect to spend in this capacity. I understand that it can take 1-2 years to fully close out the trust/estate/whatever, but am more interested on what kind of impact it will have on me on a day-to-day, week-to-week, and/or month-to-month basis. Are we talking 2 hours a day, 2 hours a week, 2 hours a month? I understand that trustees can be "reasonably" compensated from the trust, but I'm less concerned about reimbursement than about the impact on my schedule, family life, etc.

(For reference, she and I both live in California, USA.)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
I think this is a conversation you need to have with your friend. There is not way, based on your post, that in MPO we can assist you.

LdiJ

I think this is a conversation you need to have with your friend. There is not way, based on your post, that in MPO we can assist you.
I agree. The amount of time it could take depends entirely on what kinds of assets have to be managed/liquidated/distributed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">