• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How soon can an executor begin distribution of assets?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

maddmorgan

I am the executor of a moderate estate in New York State. I also handled the decedents financial affairs for over eight years and know exactly what debts the estate will be liable for. Once those are paid, is there any legal requirement that would forbid me to remove assets from the estate's account and begin distribution? Thank you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maddmorgan:
I am the executor of a moderate estate in New York State. I also handled the decedents financial affairs for over eight years and know exactly what debts the estate will be liable for. Once those are paid, is there any legal requirement that would forbid me to remove assets from the estate's account and begin distribution? Thank you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Assuming an Estate has been filed with the court, and Letters have been issued to you as Executor, you must publish the Notice of Death and Creditor's Right of Claims for potential claims against the Estate. Check your actual statute about the amount of time publication must take. Once the time for Creditor's Claims has passed, and you have paid all final debts pursuant to the Will, or other testamentary instructions, you may then begin the process of dividing the residuals of the Estate to the heirs.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">