• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband dragging feet about doing a Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Armadilo

We bought a home before we were married and put it in his name alone to receive the 'incentive rebate' from the government (I invested my whole savings into the down payment). 9 months later we were married and I'm worried that if something happens to him - without a Will in place - all of our assets will be divided between me and his daughter (and son - whom neither of us want to get anything when we die) - or worse yet - I lose everything because my name is not on the deed.

Will a 'Will' protect me from losing half of our property if he should die? We've talked about this and he wants everything left to me with the exception of a few personal items he wants to leave to his daughter - with no objections from me.

I already have a 'Will' and 'Power of Attorney' in case something should happen to me - but I don't have any children and he is listed as sole-beneficiary of all assets.

Are my concerns legit?
Michigan

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your concerns seem to be legit, but from a legal standpoint, if he doesn't want to create a will, you can't force him to.

Google the intestate succession laws for your state, then come back if you have questions.

Mass_Shyster

I'm worried that if something happens to him ... I lose everything because my name is not on the deed.
You may be better off getting your name on the deed as a joint owner with right of survivorship. That way, if one of you dies, the other gains full ownership of the home without the need to go through probate.

nextwife

How about having him NOW put title into both of you, as jt tenants? Then a will will not be needed, as to this real estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">