• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband is heartbroken

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caringgrandson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
My hubands grandmother passed away Tuesday morning. Now since the time that he was a boy his grandfather and grandmother told him that he would get their house when they passed.
My hubands mother, their daughter is her POA, last week when her mother was in the hospital she was telling him that he had the house, but they might have to sell it cause they were going to need it to pay for all her hospital bills.
Now today when he talked to her she told him that the will was changed and he wasnt getting the house that her and his uncle where going to sell it and split the money from it.
I believe that my husband was on the will to have the house before his mother thought she was going to need all this money to pay for the bills. Which she isnt cause everything is going to be paid with though two life insurance plans that she had.
I also think that she might have made his grandmother change the will within the last couple days, because as of this past weekend the house was his, according to her.
Is there anyway for us to find out if the will was changed within the last two weeks or days? And if so, can we challenge the will knowing that his grandmother was not mentally together to change her will?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

swrdmbo

And here I was thinking your "poor husband" was heartbroken because his grandma died. And rudely disappointed to find out he is "heartbroken" ( or is it you?) about the house he is not going to get.

Maybe it's just me...but why wouldn't the woman's CHILDREN inherit the house, rather than a grandson? It seems as if it is going to the rightful heirs.

Just my 2 cents.

caringgrandson

No its not me that was sitting on our couch crying their heads off, thank you very much. The land has been in their family for about 70 years and his mother just wants the money for it. Why not keep it in the family? Why or How could you hurt your son like that and lead him on to think he was getting the house then to dishearting him and tell him that you are selling it?

All I wanted to know is if we could go to the person that did the will and ask if the will was changed recently?

I came looking for advice not to get some rude ass comment

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No its not me that was sitting on our couch crying their heads off, thank you very much. The land has been in their family for about 70 years and his mother just wants the money for it. Why not keep it in the family? Why or How could you hurt your son like that and lead him on to think he was getting the house then to dishearting him and tell him that you are selling it?

All I wanted to know is if we could go to the person that did the will and ask if the will was changed recently?

I came looking for advice not to get some rude ass comment
Poor Grandma

anteater

Sure, you can ask. And the attorney may or may not answer.

Your husband can contest the will when it is filed for probate if he is inclined to.

Dandy Don

Contesting the will is going to be expensive in legal fees for both sides. Take a copy of the will to a probate attorney and have it examined (along with knowledge of the grandmother's medical history and what type of medications or disease she was afflicted with) to see how strong or how weak your legal grounds may be to contest.

Also consider consulting a family law attorney to find out whether your state has laws on the books regarding abuse of POA, because POA may have used her authority illegally to change beneficiary designations on assets. Find out if your state requires POA's to provide an accounting for any monies they withdraw to prove that they spent it on the person's care.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">