• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i gotta find this money!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heirapprntlynot

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I recently discovered a letter from 2 years ago that stated there was a property being sold in Conroe, Tx that was part of my mother's estate. I have the prospective buyer's name, but I can't even get someone to get his secretary on the phone. I have the former executor who claims to have nothing to do with it anymore. I have a list of heirs of the property, half of which won't return my calls and half who don't care. I just want to know what I can do.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

do you believe you were due something from this sale?

If so, the executor would be the go to guy. You can also get a copy of your mothers probate file and review that. You should be able to determine what went where, to some extent, through that.

heirapprntlynot

re

Where would I get a copy of the probate file? The former executor is no help. Claims to have no knowledge. Will not return calls.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why do you think that the sale of the property generated any "excess" funds that should have been distributed to you?

justalayman

yes but if there wasn't anything left after paying the estate debts, there would be nothing left for you.

You may be able to get the file either online or have it sent to you through the mail. I would contact the clerk by phone before heading very far.

nextwife

Because I am named in the will.
Potential mortgage payoff, property taxes, medical costs, credit card debt, judgments and liens, deferred maintnance, code compliance, bad well and or bad septic, funeral costs and any other debt mowed by the decadant are often paid out of proceeds, as the real estate may be one of the only assets in the estate.. Many estates are upside down and owe more than the equity in the estate. Often there is limited or no money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">