• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need help getting started

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Ezdoeszit

What is the name of your state? MI
My mother just passed and as of yet I haven't found a will. This is my first death, and I simply don't know what to do. What are the most important steps that I should be taking in order to begin this process? What does it mean to become a representative of the estate? Help !!!!!

Dandy Don

For now, just concentrate on getting the funeral arrangements handled.

You've already gone through her personal papers in her home, right?

If no will is found, the estate will be considered intestate. Do you have some idea as to what the value of her estate will be? You need to know this to determine whether or not probate will be required. Just go to the courthouse and ask them what the minimum amount of estate value must be before probate is required. You can pick up the forms for filing for administrator of her estate there, and soon after you will receive letters testamentary from the court authorizing you to begin claiming any and all assets.

You may find it helpful to visit your library or bookstore to get a book dealing with the subject of executors/estate/probate administration to give you some idea of what to expect.

If you don't have the time to devote to doing the paperwork and court appearances, then you may want to consider hiring or consulting with a probate attorney to help guide you through the process.

E

Ezdoeszit

I'm not sure if I need to do the estate thing because I don't plan on keeping her house ( she owes more on the house than it's worth) and her car is a lease and it goes back. She may have some stocks and bonds and maybe a little money in the bank, other than that I don't know what I may be entitled to. The funeral is over, and I haven't found a will yet. Should I call her creditors and tell them she is deceased or should I let them call me? What steps do I need to take to get access to her bank account and/or any stocks she may have?

JETX

"What steps do I need to take to get access to her bank account and/or any stocks she may have?"
*** Read the information at the site I provided.

Dandy Don

You can present a copy of your letters testamentary to the bank and they will release the monies to you in a check.

You can call the local stock brokerages in your area to inquire by giving the decedent's SSN to see if they have an account with that brokerage, or check her mail--she should soon be receiving Form 1099's from the IRS (similar to W2's) regarding dividends paid on her stock, and the Form 1099 will show the name and address of the company holding her stock.

You don't need to call the creditors unless you just want to do that. You first need to wait and see how much cash you will have available to pay any outstanding debts. It is assumed that the creditors will see the notice of the probate filing in the newspaper and supposedly they will be mailing you, as executor, a copy of any outstanding bill for payment. If there is not enough money left in the estate to pay bills, then the bills will unfortunately have to remain unpaid and will be later written off as bad debts.

JETX

As expected, the post by Dud Don is incorrect. Lets look at the ways he is WRONG!!

"You can present a copy of your letters testamentary to the bank and they will release the monies to you in a check."
*** Gee, and he doesn't tell you what you have to do to get the 'letters testamentary' does he. A 'letter testamentary' is a document issued by the court clerk which states the authority of the executor of an estate of a person who has died. It is issued during probate of the estate as soon as the court approves the appointment of the executor named in the will and the executor files a security bond if one is necessary (most well-drafted wills waive the need for a bond). Certified copies of the letters are often required by banks and other financial institutions, the federal government, stock transfer agents or other courts before transfer of money or assets to the executor of the estate.
Simply, this is NOT available until after the estate has been entered into probate.

"You can call the local stock brokerages in your area to inquire by giving the decedent's SSN to see if they have an account with that brokerage"
*** And guess what?? That would be in violation of federal law (15 USC 6821). This Code prohibits ANYONE from obtaining or attempting to obatin someone elses financial information by using deception.
"(a) Prohibition on obtaining customer information by false pretenses
It shall be a violation of this subchapter for any person to obtain or attempt to obtain, or cause to be disclosed or attempt to cause to be disclosed to any person, customer information of a financial institution relating to another person -
(1) by making a false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation to an officer, employee, or agent of a financial institution;
(2) by making a false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation to a customer of a financial institution; or
(3) by providing any document to an officer, employee, or agent of a financial institution, knowing that the document is forged, counterfeit, lost, or stolen, was fraudulently obtained, or contains a false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation."
Source: http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/15/6821.html

"or check her mail--she should soon be receiving Form 1099's from the IRS (similar to W2's) regarding dividends paid on her stock"
*** The IRS doesn't send out 1099's. They are sent out by the payer!!

"and the Form 1099 will show the name and address of the company holding her stock."
*** Sort of. The 1099 will only show that the accountholder has an account with them that paid dividends. It will NOT tell you anything about what stocks, bonds, etc.

"You don't need to call the creditors unless you just want to do that. You first need to wait and see how much cash you will have available to pay any outstanding debts. It is assumed that the creditors will see the notice of the probate filing in the newspaper and supposedly they will be mailing you, as executor, a copy of any outstanding bill for payment."
*** No!!! If you are appointed 'personal representative' of the estate, you have an OBLIGATION to notify the creditors that you know of (in researching the estate) and to ask for complete accounting. This is done so that you can determine the FULL debts of the testator.

"If there is not enough money left in the estate to pay bills, then the bills will unfortunately have to remain unpaid and will be later written off as bad debts."
*** The correct response should have been assets, not money. Money only indicates cash. In fact, ANY assets of the estate must be used to 'close the estate' (pay all decedents debts), until those assets are exhausted.

Do as I suggested and review the information at:
http://courts.co.calhoun.mi.us/notes000.htm
It should answer most of your questions. IF you have other specific ones, come back here and a QUALIFIED member (hopefully NOT 'Dud Don') will try to help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">