• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need help locating my grandfathers will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kimpaulc

I am living in Arizona. My grandfather passed away 10 years ago. My Uncle was executor of his will. My Uncle told me that my grandfather had put money into a will for his grandchildren, but we were not to get the money until my grandmother passed away. My grandmother recently passed away and my Uncle also passed away 1 year ago. My Uncle left no details with anyone on my grandfathers will and now we are trying to locate the will.
My grandfather lived in Illinois most of his life and his last living years he lived in Clearwater Florida. I don't even know where to start looking for his will. Ill or Fla?

Please help me to get some closure and find the will before it ends up going to the state.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Has anyone gotten access to his home to look through his personal papers yet?

You also need to review your grandmother's probate file to get clues on who handled her estate and how it was handled.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

dmode101

I am living in Arizona. My grandfather passed away 10 years ago. My Uncle was executor of his will. My Uncle told me that my grandfather had put money into a will for his grandchildren, but we were not to get the money until my grandmother passed away. My grandmother recently passed away and my Uncle also passed away 1 year ago. My Uncle left no details with anyone on my grandfathers will and now we are trying to locate the will.
My grandfather lived in Illinois most of his life and his last living years he lived in Clearwater Florida. I don't even know where to start looking for his will. Ill or Fla?

Please help me to get some closure and find the will before it ends up going to the state.

Thank you very much.
In addition to checking probate files for your grandparents, you might see if you can find out who's handling your uncle's estate. That person may have info on any funds your uncle was holding as a trustee.

Dandy Don

You may not need to look for a will. Check at the county courthouse to see what has already been filed for each grandparent's estate. This may have a good ending, but don't be surprised if it turns out that uncle spent most of it.

kimpaulc

About my grandfathers will

You had told me to check into my grandmothers probate. My grandmother had nothing. They didn't even have any money to bury her, they had her ashes sent to Illinois to be buried.
Where would I start looking in Illinois or Fla? Probate court? I don't have the slightest idea where to start.

Thank you,

Kim

BlondiePB

You had told me to check into my grandmothers probate. My grandmother had nothing. They didn't even have any money to bury her, they had her ashes sent to Illinois to be buried.
Where would I start looking in Illinois or Fla? Probate court? I don't have the slightest idea where to start.

Thank you,

Kim
If this was a Testamentary Trust (trust established via a will upon passing of the testor), any info will be found under your grandfather where his probate was opened. That can be in both in FL and in IL. If grandpa had his assests set up co-owned with grandma so they would not have to be probated, there's nothing else to look up regarding the trust. The assests became granny's and she used them all up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">