• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need some serious help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

turnerplus3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My mother passed away in 2009 and left my sister as trustee of her Revocable Trust. My mother is survived by my stepfather who owns half the house they lived in. He is able to stay in the home until he passes or medical issues.... Then it is split in half. Half for his side of the family and half for me and my sister.

The home when the market was at bottom was appraised at approx $780K. Now that the market has increased some it is worth a fraction over $1 million. I have found out that my sister has purchased the home from my stepfather for $400k and he is able to stay there and live with her for his remaining years. he is in his mid 80's and fading. (God bless him, one of the nicest people on earth).

Going backin time here. When my mother passed my sister did not have any money. Savings, CD's or coffee can full. I did not either. My mother gave me a few copies of her bank statements a week before she died saying my sister knows that all this is to be split between the two of you. Leave the big account alone and the interest will pay the taxes and utility bills on a home she owned in Lake Tahoe. One acct had my sisters name on it so if we needed money for funeral, church, florist... we could get some.

Evidently she did not tell my sister she gave me the info on accounts. Because a few months after her death when we went to split things up. Not everything came to the table. When I said "Mom had more than this. My sister said she didn't. You are not getting another dime and there is not a f%&&%n thing you can do about it. I'm a hot head. Instead of blowing up. I got up and left before I went ballistic.

Next day I called my mother's lawyer and told them. They informed me that I could not do much because my sisters name was put on the accounts. I guess according to CA law upon day of death it goes to her.

The lawyers I went to see all want money that I can't afford. What am I supposed to do? Bite the bullet and say "Oh Well"

Last edited:

curb1

Your sister could have legally manipulated all of the assets in her favor. Unfortunately, that is very common. The problem is that many elderly people do not understand the significance of putting someone's name on their accounts. It is a powerful situation that seems so innocent at the time.

It sounds like your sister did an economic, calculated job on you.

How is the Lake Tahoe property titled?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">