• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want to secure a trailer park home which me and my dad is going to buy (California)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

learning2defend

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I dont know if this is the correct forum to post in, if not, please correct me.

My father and I are planning to buy a trailer park in a nice gated community.

Its not much but this is going to be my first time to buy a home and I want to be sure that I have as few risks as possible.

Now this is the risk:

I have a younger brother who is not working but is studying to be a nurse. Me and my dad is supporting him for everything even though he has an attitude problem and treats us with disrespect by not talking to us, not eating with us and not helping in the house and is verbally abusive so he basically lives like a prince for many years and my dad is emotionally unable to correct his attitude and worse, he gives everything he needs without question, inflates his ego in my expense and does nothing by literally hiding away or being silent whenever my brother treats me like trash and uses bribes instead of the good "man of the house" type of discipline. Due to this my brother has developed into some sort of a psychopath and I know for sure he will stop at nothing to get more than what he can have even if it takes running me over that he even mentioned to a cousin of mine one time, "Don't be crazy with women, be crazy with money!"

This is not paranoia. In the past I personally knew of a person who has a house given to him by his dad that after he died, his siblings who wants their inheritance, forced him to sell it and since he is a good guy, he didn't contest it but he did it with a heavy heart. So he was basically driven out of his own house and I am afraid that this would also happen to me.

When I told my dad about this concern, he was even angry at me for mentioning it. And assured me that I am not at risk because of a few facts he told me which I know may or may not be true because he is not a lawyer.

As you can see my dad is weak willed who bends easily with pressure and prefers a peaceful life even if it harms me in the end and I am afraid if he dies all of the sudden, my brother who will now have a big paycheck as a nurse, might sue me to force me to sell this trailer home to also get money out of it despite the fact that I let him live free in it while he was studying and I co-paid with it.

So I want to secure this home under my name if ever my father dies and could stop or prevent my brother or anyone (my dad has a gf in a different country and other older siblings out of wed-lock) to have any part of it like an agreement between me and my father that he will not transfer the home to anyone but me.

I am not trying to be greedy, I love my brother despite of everything but I don't want to be a fool that I will ruin my financial life by not protecting myself. A trailer park is not even a real home because it loses value over time like a car and with my brother's soon to be career, he should have the resources to get his own home and even bigger and better than mine.

What should I do?

The short answer to your question is to retain a lawyer to ensure that your interests are protected. There are numerous avenues that you can take to protect the property from your brother in the event of your father's death. Your lawyer will know the most effective means. This is not something that I would recommend you attempt to do on your own. While lawyers are expensive, this is a situation where you will save money in the long run.

learning2defend

The short answer to your question is to retain a lawyer to ensure that your interests are protected. There are numerous avenues that you can take to protect the property from your brother in the event of your father's death. Your lawyer will know the most effective means. This is not something that I would recommend you attempt to do on your own. While lawyers are expensive, this is a situation where you will save money in the long run.
I can't afford one right now that's why I am in this forum. Can I get any pointers for a inexpensive legal advice for that matter?

latigo

I can't afford one right now that's why I am in this forum. Can I get any pointers for a inexpensive legal advice for that matter?
If you two can't afford a lawyer to protect your interests as potential buyers of real property, then you can't afford to be purchasers of real property!

justalayman

Me and my dad is supporting him for everything even though he has an attitude problem and treats us with disrespect by not talking to us, not eating with us and not helping in the house
You can stop supporting your brother. Whether your father does or not is up to your father.

You cannot control what your father does with his property.

are you buying just a mobile home or are you buying an mobile home park? You state the latter but your explanation of the situation suggests it is the first.

What you can do is take ownership of whatever as joint tenants with rights of survivorship. While that will not prevent your father from changing his mind and taking steps to dissolve the survivorship aspect of the joint ownership, if he doesn't, once your father passes, you will be the sole owner. Whether you resist your brother's attempts or demands you share it with him is up to you but you would have no requirement to do so.

learning2defend

Are you buying just a mobile home or are you buying an mobile home park?

What you can do is take ownership of whatever as joint tenants with rights of survivorship.

1.) The mobile home was built around 2005, looks like a real house and is already settled inside a gated community. So its just a home, not the real estate property.

2.) How do I materialize or put in paper this "rights of survivorship" ?

learning2defend

If you two can't afford a lawyer to protect your interests as potential buyers of real property, then you can't afford to be purchasers of real property!
Looks like I made an impression of buying a trailer park real estate property. I am not into that, I am just trying to buy a mobile home to put a roof over my head. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

single317dad

Why would you agree to a joint purchase of real estate when you clearly disagree with the living situation and are afraid of losing the property in the end? Seems like a poor investment, and a poorer living arrangement.

2.) How do I materialize or put in paper this "rights of survivorship" ?
You should meet with a lawyer that will explain to you what this phrase means. It not only means that you take the property if your father passes, but it also means your father could take the property should you die. This might not be what you desire to do with your property, especially if your brother could potentially receive it. Thus, you need to bite the bullet and retain a lawyer to best protect yourself and understand those options available to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">