• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm the youngest of 7 and my older brother is in charge of the trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alovaman

What is the name of your state? California ...So here's my story ..Both my folks passed away my mom the day before mothers day two yrs ago and my dad the day after mothers day a yr ago ..They had a very substantial estate and my oldest brother is the executor ..each of us , my six sibs, are receiving 2,200 a month which is just the interest on some of the accounts ..I have not received any financials, how long till I am suppose to? I'm 40 and I have full blown AIDS ..I'm recovering from Spinal Meningitis and Pnemonia which I was hospilized for three weeks last yr ..I had previous incidents with my license where it was suspended and made the mistake of driving before I got it taken care of ..my car was impounded and I have to go to court in about a week and I think unless I get my suspended status changed I'm going to jail ..I asked my older brother for a loan from the trust and he denied me ..the trust is substantial in the millions and I was wanting to borrow 2000 bucks ..not an outrageouse thing to stay out of jail ..I have no idea what my rights are ..I do know that if I contest anything I get shut out of the trust ..I have a note from doctor saying the Spinal Meningitis was very advanced and there was damage which was healable over time ...Seem's to take longer since my t-cell count is around 80 ..anyways just looking for somewhere to start with this ..:confused:

Dandy Don

Consult with a trust attorney to write a certified letter on your behalf to the trustee, requesting a copy of the trust and an accounting statement for each year the trust has been in existence--that is your legal right as a beneficiary. Trustee is more likely to respond to the request if it comes from an attorney, whereas he might be more inclined to ignore the request if it only came from you. Or, have the attorney write a letter on behalf of all of the siblings and have each of them sign it.

Check at the county courthouse probate court to see if a last will and testament was filed--if there was, you can look at the file to see what information is there. If all assets were put into the trust, there will be no probate file since the trust is not public record and is administered privately.

Best of luck to you in getting information--at least he is kind enough to continue your monthly payments so your medical expenses/living expenses can be partially met.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

alovaman

Thank you for your advice

I'll try to follow through on your advice, Thank you so much.:eek: It's good to know their are caring people out there, sometime's I forget.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">