• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Important inheritance question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

washburn111

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

My wife recently inherited a sizable estate from her parents who died. Along with two brothers her share was one third according to the will. The primary residence was being sold on contract to buyers, and my wife was due to receive around two hundred thousand dollars over the course of the contract, plus interest. In her will, she specifically left me her portion of that estate. Recently she died unexpectedly, and now her two brothers claim that since she is dead, they do not owe me any money, since the one third portion (according to her parents will), was left to her and not me. They have stopped making the monthly payments, which has left me in a financial lurch. What do I do now?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

JETX

now her two brothers claim that since she is dead, they do not owe me any money, since the one third portion (according to her parents will), was left to her and not me.
Of course, they are NOT correct. Her 'inheritance' now becomes the property of her estate.

They have stopped making the monthly payments, which has left me in a financial lurch. What do I do now?
Run, don't walk, to a local attorney.
And you will also have to probate HER estate before you have any claim on it.

latigo

You wife’s surviving siblings have been eating too many Oregon mushrooms.

Her interest in the contract passed into her estate along with all other assets owned at the time of her death or to which she was entitled. It DID NOT revert to her hallucinating brothers. *

You say that “her portion of the contract” was bequeathed to you under her will. Whether she nominated you to administer her will or not, why haven’t you sought the advice and assistance of your attorney?

[*] If the brothers are so foolish as to argue that a person’s ownership rights to property lapses upon death, how do they explain how they succeeded to any property owned by the parents at the time of their death?

They inherited it that's how. The same way you are entitled to inherit your wife's portion.

If you wish to assert your inheritance, consult with an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">