• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

indiana will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

astra0

i am from indiana and i have a question. my grandfather died four years ago and i think that he left my brother and me a sizable amount of stock in a gold company. I found a document at my fathers house that indicates this. This document isnt a legal one, just a memo from my uncle to my father. My problem is that I think that my father and uncle have sold the stock and put the money into a trust (not mine) and are living off the money.
is my grandfather's will public record or who should i talk to if i want to see a copy of it? thank you for your help in advance!!

Carrie

H

hexeliebe

If it has gone through probate your grandfather's will is public information. Contact the county Recorder's office where your grandfather lived and ask them to do a cursory search through the will book for your grandfather's will.

If you want a copy you'll either have to pay them for the copy or travel there and make a copy yourself.

Dandy Don

Don't just get a copy of the will--if you are able to go to the courthouse, you will need to look at the entire probate file to see all of the financial documentation to see exactly how the entire estate was handled.

If you know the name of the company and their address, you should be able to contact the company directly to inquire about the status of your father's account or perhaps research the history to see exactly when it was closed out and how the account was handled.

Let us know how this situation turns out. Depending on what you find out, there are other steps you can be taking to get more information.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

lwpat

You need to act fast. Brokerage firms only keep records for six years in some cases. You will probably need a suponea to access any financial records.

Once you have a copy of the probate file you will have some more facts and can have an attorney advise you of your rights. The written note you found has no legal bearing. If your grandfather had a will all assests should have been distributed according to the will. If he died without a will then state law governs.

In other words don't get your hopes up.

When you go to probate court it will help to have your grandfather's full name, date of birth and death.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">