• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

inheritance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

thak9

Im not sure if this is the right board to post this on, but here goes. I live in Louisiana. My real dad past away about 20 years ago. He past away before he could claim his dads will. Well then it went to me and my brother and sister and mom. Well the person handling the case will not give us any info. on the inheritance. Her and her lawyer said we need a lawyer just so they can tell us whats involved in it. Is that true? If so, what steps can I take to get whats ours. Is their a statue of limitation on time? As far as have so much time to claim or you lose it? Thanks......

ALawyer

The estate and inheritance laws in LA are different from those in all other states, so I urge you to get a lawyer to make a phone call for you to put this to an end!

A

advisor10

12-06-2000

Your message is a little bit confusing, but are you saying that your real father's father had a will in which you were named as a beneficiary, or that only our father was named as the beneficiary? Anyway, if you know the city/state where the father's father died and your father died, you need to contact the county courthouse for either or both cities to ask the Probate Records section if a will is on file for each party--you need to know the month and year that each person died.

If a will is on file, you can order photocopies or look at the probate file to find out exactly what happened and how the financial assets were handled, and then proceed from there.

You really do need to get an estate/probate attorney of your own (or a business law attorney) in the same city or state where the will was filed. The attorney is much more likely to get a professional response out of the people who seem to reluctant to give you any information.

[email protected]

T

thak9

My fathers father died leaving my father something in his will for him, but he died before he could claim it. My father had no will. But the lady handling the case told my mom that my fathers portion went directly to us(the kids).....Thanks for the advice, I will check into it....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">