• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R Masters

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia....
I was contacted by an investigator claiming that a relative of mine has past away leaving no will, and that they need proof of who my grand parents are to verify if I am an heir to their estate, Arden C, White Investigations,LLC is the name of the firm.
What should my primary concerns in this matter be.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia....
I was contacted by an investigator claiming that a relative of mine has past away leaving no will, and that they need proof of who my grand parents are to verify if I am an heir to their estate, Arden C, White Investigations,LLC is the name of the firm.
What should my primary concerns in this matter be.
It depends on what "proof" they are asking for...

ETA: Arden C. White appears to be a professional genealogy investigation firm - but you need to be sure they really are who they say they are.

R Masters

It depends on what "proof" they are asking for...

ETA: Arden C. White appears to be a professional genealogy investigation firm - but you need to be sure they really are who they say they are.
Well its a legitimate firm, they want 30% of any assets sold. I was just wondering who determines who the executor of the estate is an if I could be liable for any debt incurred by the deceased.... (property tax's, medical bills and so forth.)....

Zigner

Well its a legitimate firm, they want 30% of any assets sold. I was just wondering who determines who the executor of the estate is an if I could be liable for any debt incurred by the deceased.... (property tax's, medical bills and so forth.)....
Do you know who the deceased person is?

Zigner

No they haven't told me.... pending proof of who I am.
They say they will hire a lawyer in my behalf ..... wondering if I should hire my own?
If you can figure out who passed away that possible might owe you money, then this may be something you can do yourself. If you research it and feel that the company in question is legitimate, and if you have no idea who this person may be, then 70% of the amount your are due may be better than than 100% if it saves you time and money in other ways.

Good luck in your quest.

R Masters

If you can figure out who passed away that possible might owe you money, then this may be something you can do yourself. If you research it and feel that the company in question is legitimate, and if you have no idea who this person may be, then 70% of the amount your are due may be better than than 100% if it saves you time and money in other ways.

Good luck in your quest.
Thank you for your advice.:)

R Masters

Why would you POSSIBLY think you could be held responsible for debts of a deceased relative? Are you Klingon?
So what your saying is that a court can not order a debt collector to be payed by a deceased relatives estate? maybe that was the better question to ask. "Qapla"

LdiJ

So what your saying is that a court can not order a debt collector to be payed by a deceased relatives estate? maybe that was the better question to ask. "Qapla"
A creditor MUST be paid by the estate. However, if there is not enough money in the estate to cover the debts then the heirs are not responsible for the debts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">