• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inheritance Property Division

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AundreaH

What is the name of your state?

My state is California.

My father died in 1997. He jointly owned a home with his live-in girlfriend of 10+ years. Now his girlfriend wants to refinance and she cannot do it without me signing a quitclaim. The house is currently going through probate, and once she refinances, she is going to buy me out. I was told that I would be getting 1/4 of the house's value minus upgrades and my share of the mortgage. I have never lived in the house. How can I figure out approximately how much I should be receiving? The lawyer is not being very helpful when it comes to my questions, and I would like to be informed the next time I talk to him.

Thank you

nextwife

I'd wish to know how value is being determined. Typically, market value is "what buyers are willing to pay and sellers are willing to sell comparable properies in the same area". As there will not be a sale, are they using assessment (which can be way OFF value in some places), mortgage appraisal, which is only concerned with establishing that value is able to support the minimum LTV ratio that the loan requires? Even two appraisals from different appraisers can come out somewhat differently.

FYI- The escrow agent/ title company doing the refi closing can hold the QC deed in escrow to be provided in exchange for your share of proceeds.

A

AundreaH

Thank you for responding so fast! Is there a basic formula I can follow to determine what my share of the property would be? For instance, would I take the current value of the property and take out the current mortgage plus the last 6 years worth of mortgage payments then take 1/4 of that, or just the last 6 years worth of payments....or do I determine my share from the date of death appraisal? I know there is a date of death appraisal and an appraisal from the mortgage company, but I do not know the value of the latter. I've done a CMA on the house myself (I have a real estate license), so I have a good idea of it's current value.

nextwife

Honestly, I'm not sure what was agreed, nor what any will said, so cannot answer your question. AS a person with a RE license, you understand that the "agreement" determines how the numbers get plugged into a settlement statement.

Dandy Don

(1) Did this man leave a will or not? If so, what does the will say about what happens with the house?

(2) Who is the official executor of this estate--the girlfriend or her attorney?You should seriously consult getting a real estate attorney to get his/her advice about how you should proceed and to get your questions answered. It appears that you may be taken advantage of. Or, at least get a probate attorney and then your probate attorney may know a real estate attorney to consult to get answers to your questions.

(3) Are you the only surviving child or are there other brothers and sisters? If there was no will, then the children may be entitled to as much as 2/3rds of the estate, and I fear that you are not being fully informed of what you are eligible to receive!!

(4) What is the estimated total value of this man's estate? What is the house worth, and how much is remaining on the outstanding balance due on the mortgage?

DON'T sign the quitclaim deed until you have something in writing to validate her intention/promise to buy you out. You need to be getting a second opinion from your own attorney as to whether the quitclaim is even necessary--the executor and heirs might have the power jointly with live-in girlfriend to decide jointly how the home is going to be split up and the quitclaim may not even be necessary and you would be signing away your rights for no reason. No wonder you are not getting adequate advice/counsel from the attorney you talked to--I don't know whether it's the official executor or just an estate attorney who is advising the live-in girlfriend, but his obligation is to represent her and he won't be concerned in the least about you.

If this house is not paid for in full, then the mortgage company owns it and the heirs and estate executor need to be talking with the mortgage company to determine the fate of the home--mortgage company may agree to a sale but the equity (payments that your father has already made) are an asset to the estate and whether or not girlfriend refinances or what her share in the home is needs to be legally been determined that is a separate matter.

Something is wrong with their methods of calculation--it would seem that you have no business paying off "YOUR SHARE??" of the mortgage--unless you wanted to do that--did they say how much THAT would be? If the estate has enough assets to be able to pay off the balance due on the mortgage, then that is an outstanding debt that the estate should pay for so that ownership is free and clear so that legal heirs can then decide what is to be done with the property. You also need to consider getting the official opinion from a probate attorney to see whether this live-in girlfriend is entitled to anything at all from this estate.

When they are going to deduct for the upgrades, are they deducting full value or for your 1/4th share? Why are they deducting for upgrades anyway--that is the responsibility of the home owner and the home owner bears that expense, and that INCREASES a home's value--so therefore they shouldn't be charging you for this!! They need to be furnishing you with exact figures they used in their calculations and how they arrive at the final amount. A real estate attorney's services are absolutely essential and INVALUABLE in insuring that a review of the other party's actions is done to make sure you are protected and to make sure that things are done correctly and legally!! The real estate attorney will have insight and expertise about every aspect of the real estate transaction that the probate attorney does not have.

You are making a big mistake if you don't get the services of a probate attorney to represent you and find out exactly what is going on with this estate!! I wish it could be me so I could get a piece of the action!! Good luck on getting everything straightened out--looks like this transaction is going to be financially beneficial to you!!

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Last edited:
A

AundreaH

1) Did this man leave a will or not? If so, what does the will say about what happens with the house?

He left a will. He owned 50% of the house, and he left half of his assets to me, and the other half to his girlfriend.

(2) Who is the official executor of this estate--the girlfriend or her attorney?You should seriously consult getting a real estate attorney to get his/her advice about how you should proceed and to get your questions answered. It appears that you may be taken advantage of. Or, at least get a probate attorney and then your probate attorney may know a real estate attorney to consult to get answers to your questions.

The girlfriend is the official executor.

(3) Are you the only surviving child or are there other brothers and sisters? If there was no will, then the children may be entitled to as much as 2/3rds of the estate, and I fear that you are not being fully informed of what you are eligible to receive!!

I am the only child.

(4) What is the estimated total value of this man's estate? What is the house worth, and how much is remaining on the outstanding balance due on the mortgage?

House is worth approximately $280,000 with $139,000 left on the mortgage.

The girlfriend intends to pay off the current mortgage by refinancing. She was under the impression that I would only be getting a few thousand dollars, which concerns me, and the lawyer cannot tell me how much I will be getting. I went to my own probate attorney who didn't know exactly how the breakdown would be done either, and I can't afford to pay another attorney. That's why I would like to do my own homework, but I cannot find inheritance laws for California on the web. I believe they will be deducting the full amount of upgrades, attorney's costs, mortgage payments, etc then giving me my 1/4 share of the remaining balance.

Dandy Don

Please mention what county this estate is being probated in, and send me an e-mail so I can send you a referral. It shouldn't be too difficult to find an attorney to help you with this estate, someone who would be willing to defer the fee until you get your check--if you don't get help, you will lose big time in your share of this estate. Don't let the lack of funds prevent you from finding someone.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">