• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inheritance protection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BMitch1011

I have a question regarding protection/preservation of some inheritance money. The inheritance was received in the form of a cashiers check made out to the beneficiary of a CD account at a bank.

Rather than simply opening a brokerage account somewhere and going about business as usual, is there a better way to set up an account so as to protect the money from lawsuits, etc? The money must still be accessible for use as capital but will always be returned to the account plus any earnings from it's use.

Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated..

tranquility

While you can protect the money from *future* events, if you have a present problem there is nothing you can do. I suppose you can make it harder, but not impossible.

As to future, see an attorney for proper asset protection planning.

nextwife

I have a very large umbrella liability policy to offer additional protection in the event someone is injured at one of my properties and the property insurance is not sufficient.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">